Thursday, May 16, 2013

Making Your Days Count

I worked in the administrative field for 25+ years. My work was very stressful and plenteous. The more I accomplished, the more "responsibility" I was given (can I get a witness). Constantly devising ways to streamline my work, I always relied on the old motto "work smarter, not harder". In order to do that I couldn't just show up for work every day and then wonder how to get it all done. I needed to have a plan and set my priorities for each of those days. I had to set a schedule and a routine for daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual tasks.
 
Because I lived this way, every day, for over 25 years, it became a part of who I was. With each passing year, my organizational and time management skills increased. I had great focus on my daily priorities and got quite a lot accomplished. But, in God's plan, I was forced to quit working due to health problems. Being knocked out of my orbit caused me to flounder around like a fish out of water. Being in constant pain and bedridden, at times, I lost who I had been. Routines went out the window and with them, my purpose-filled days. I could no longer function like I did before and what followed was a gambit of stages of emotions (not necessarily in this order)...denial, anger, depression, feelings of abandonment, hopelessness, more depression, but finally acceptance (to a degree).
 
During all this I had no routines for my daily life. Each morning I got up with no purpose and no direction. Left to myself I chose selfish things and got very little accomplished. But, of course, depression will do that to you. It will suck the life out of you and nothing will be enjoyable or pleasurable. You just exist. And how many of us really want that? How many of us want to live our lives with no purpose? How many of us want to get to the end of our lives and say we accomplished very little...that our life didn't really matter. I don't...especially as a Christian. God saved me for a great purpose, and if you are a child of God, He saved you for just as great a purpose. He has big plans for us!
 
Women have the high calling of being molders of generations through their children and grandchildren. They have the high calling of being a help-mate to their husbands, working side by side with him to accomplish more for God than one could alone. She is the Holy Spirit of her family...and along with her husband and God, they form a beautiful portrait of the Holy Trinity. That is why she is often referred to as "the heart of the home". She draws her children and husband toward Christ. She, gently, encourages them to live for God, and leads by example. She comforts her family during times of distress and puts their minds at ease. If you think of all the things the Holy Spirit does in the life of the believer you will get a glimpse of what you are to the home. Oh, how fortunate we are to be women!
 
Now, not taking anything away from the single ladies...I'm talking about the ones God has called to remain single...I believe He has just as great a purpose for you. He, obviously, saw something very special in you and wants to use you for His sole purpose...to be totally focused on Him and His kingdom. What an honor!
 
Anyway, I said all that to say this, "I have floundered around for too long. I want my days to count for God...each and every one...for HE is worthy of all of me! He made me His princess, then He called me to be a warrior. My part is to answer the call and then go on and be the best me that I possibly can be for His honor and glory!" And, personally, I can't do that without a plan. I know a plan works because I've done it for years. 
 
Yes, I still have health issues and that will be a hindrance, but I have purposed in my heart to set up a routine for myself and start following it. I know I'm going to have to call on God for help because satan is gonna want me to stay unfocused and unproductive. Please pray for me, and if you have this same problem, I will pray for you too dear friend. Let's do this for our Lord!! He's done soooo much for us!!!

What I'm about to share, I have had in my notes for years and, when I worked, I would occasionally glance over them to make sure I was keeping my focus. I have made a copy for myself and have now placed it in my homemade life planner (maybe one day I'll show you how to do this). The verse I shared at the end was framed and prominently displayed on my desk at work and now has a place on my desk at home. It is a constant reminder of Who I am doing this for.......
 
PRIORITIES: Planning Your Day
 
Often we women are overwhelmed by too many things to do (see Luke 10:40) because there are many good choices (and some not so good) concerning how to apportion our time (Ecc. 3:1-8). To set priorities is to determine what is important to you and how your time is to be apportioned – that is, who and what will take precedence over other areas of your life.
 
Scripture contains guidelines for God’s order (Psa. 119:105, 130):
  • Your personal relationship to Jesus Christ (Mat. 6:33; Phi. 3:8)
  • Your commitment to your home and family – especially spouse and children (Gen. 2:24; Psa. 127:3; Eph. 5:22, 25; 6:4; 1 Tim. 3:2-5; 5:8; 1 Pet. 3:7) and even to your extended family, as so beautifully portrayed in the relationship between Ruth and Naomi (Ruth 1:16, 17).
  • Your responsibility to your employer and tasks assigned (see 1 The. 4:11, 12).
  • Your service to God through ministries in the church and involvement in the community (see Col. 3:17).

Once you have these divinely appointed criteria in mind, you are ready to sort out the opportunities that come (Psa. 32:8) and move forward in the most effective and productive management of time and resources. A very practical way of accomplishing this is to list all the tasks before you, consider each prayerfully as to merit and timeliness (see Col. 2:5), arrange them in order of importance, then proceed to do the most important things first (see 1 Cor. 14:40).


To be consistent in your priorities, consider these admonitions:
  • Assign God first place (Mat. 6:33).
  • Consult with the Heavenly Father regularly in your quiet time (Psa. 55:17; Luke 5:15, 16).
  • Examine your own heart (Ecc. 3:1).
  • Keep yourself spiritually fit (Isa. 30:15). Jesus met with the Father in intensive prayer and meditation to determine His priorities and to prepare Himself for each day (see Luke 5:15, 16).

Note also these cautions
  • Put people before things (see 2 Cor. 8:5). Do not limit your investment in those you love, and others who cross your path, to money and gifts. Look for ways to invest YOURSELF, your time, and your energies. 
  • Family MUST be more important than occupation since scripture clearly states that there is no success if family is lost (1 Tim. 3:5; 5:8; Titus 2:4, 5).  
  • Sometimes you must say “NO”, as did even Jesus when some seemingly good requests for His time did not fit the overall plan for His ministry (Luke 4:42, 43). 
  • The underlying principle in determining priorities is always this – spiritual values MUST overshadow worldly pursuits (2 Cor. 4:18).

See also:
  • Setting Priorities (Prov. 16:3; Luke 12:31; Eph. 5:15, 16) 
  • Notes On Goal Setting (Isa. 58)
  • Organization (John 9) 
  • Time Management (Psa. 31)
 
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men: Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. ~Colossians 3:23-24


Because of Christ,

The Princess Warrior


Copyright Information 
Copyright © 2009 The Princess Warrior Ministries. All articles are copyrighted on the date they are posted, unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. Permission granted for not-for-sale reproduction in exact form including copyright and web address. Other uses require written permission. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture references are taken from the King James Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I would really love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...