Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Question From A Friend About Fibromyalgia


The following is a conversation I had with a Facebook friend about one of my disabilities. I posted it here for educational purposes for the friends and family of people with FMS/CFS:

Facebook Friend: Did I hear you say that you have fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome???

The Princess Warrior: Yes, I have fibromyalgia.

Facebook Friend: My ex-wife had it too. People with fibromyalgia usually have a body that is too acid -- are magnesium deficient -- are deficient in creatine. I'm assuming you have googled all of this info??

The Princess Warrior: I subscribe to a newsletter that is put out by a lady who has both fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. It is very informative. Included in the newsletter are reports from other people who suffer with FMS and CFS on things that have helped OR not helped them. Through it I have learned that even though people with these illnesses have very similar symptoms there is no one thing that helps all and there is nothing that helps completely.

Through this newsletter I did learn about magnesium helping some folks so I tried it. I can say that since I started taking it I no longer have tingling in my hands and feet and I no longer suffer with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Oh, and it also helps with sleep when taken at bedtime. It does, however, have a side effect...very loose bowel movements. A lot of people with Fibromyalgia (FMS) have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) that can be with diarrhea or with constipation. If you have the constipation it can be a reprieve from those symptoms or you have the opposite it can add to it. (Can't believe I'm talking about this! Lol!)

I also know that people with FMS have very sensitive systems. For instance, there are a lot of medications I can't take due to severe side effects. Those advertisements on TV make it seem so simple. Like...just take this pill and you will be all better, when in reality these so called FMS drugs do more harm to us than they help. Most people with FMS can't even take Lyrica, the #1 drug for fibromyalgia. Another one is Cymbalta. Most people with FMS call it "the drug from hell".

Even natural supplements can have adverse effects. I tried creatine once and it made me feel very sick. I can't remember the exact side effect because I have tried so many different things. I tried it after an older lady who was like 75 tried it and had great results. I was very disappointed when I had a bad reaction.

Most FMS researchers now think there is a problem in our brain and the central nervous system. That makes sense to me since people with fibro have a heightened sense of pain, and we have a list of 50 to 100 symptoms that effect every part of us. It's like our body's volume is turned up to the loudest level.

Another problem is that researchers think that our bodies do not absorb vitamins and minerals like a normal person's body does. This could be why I've tried supplements out the wazoo with no huge improvement, although I do still take supplements.

Anyway, I've gone on and on here. Sorry. So, yes I've googled, binged, and yahoo'd A LOT, but still have not found my magic combination. That will not keep me from trying though.

I can say that through this situation I have had to lean more on the Lord and His provision and guidance than at any other time in my life. This is, truly, one of those times that something good was born out of adversity.

Thanks for your concern. God bless you!!

The Princess Warrior 


Copyright Information 
All blog entries are copyright by The Princess Warrior Ministries on the date they are posted, unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved. Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture references are taken from the King James Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I would really love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...