Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Devotional for Those Who Suffer with Chronic Pain

Below is a daily devotional from Joni Eareckson Tada, a lady who has been a quadriplegic since the age of 17 when she broke her neck in a diving accident.  God has used Joni to become a worldwide blessing to all who suffer physical afflictions.  To sign up for Joni's wonderful devotionals, go to www.joniandfriends.org/daily-devotional/ - click on "Sign Up for Our Daily Devotional" on the right.  I am very thankful to the person who told me about this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional 

Praise Him with Every Part
Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.  Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. ~Psalm 103:1-5 

After years of quadriplegia, my bones are feeling tired.  But whenever I struggle with pain, I pray, "Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name."  I force all parts of me to bless the Lord, even my lower back when it's aching - it's one way of making certain God receives glory during physically agonizing times. 

Physical pain can cloud our convictions about God's benefits, which is why I must continually stir my soul to remember them.  God has pardoned all my sin, rescued, restored, crowned me with his love, and healed all my diseases.  Does this mean the pain goes away?  Not immediately, but I have the sure promise that just as Jesus rose from the grave with a new body, so I will one day rise with no more pain or heartache.  For now, as Paul says in Romans 8, we groan, waiting for the redemption God has promised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nevertheless, our groans can glorify God!  Next time your muscles ache, your head throbs, or your feet cramp, force these body parts to join your soul in praising God:  "Praise the Lord, O my soul; and even my sore back blesses you.  Every part of me blesses your holy name!"  You will be stirring your soul to recall God's benefits.  You will be offering a "sacrifice of praise" (Hebrews 13:15). 

Lord Jesus, I want to praise you in body, soul and spirit.  I bless you from that part of me that "hurts" today - may it be a sacrifice of praise for every part of me delights in every part of you!

Blessings, 

Joni and Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment. I would really love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...